So a few weeks ago I got an unexpected call in the middle of the night from my high school soccer coach, Coach Wheatley, asking me if I'd be willing to help coach one of Wasatch's teams in a soccer camp they were coming to at SUU. I was way excited because it's been 3 years since I've even touched a soccer ball, and I miss it so bad! So camp was this week, and I've been coaching the freshman girls along with TaLisha Wheatley. We played 7 games and finished with a record of 4-3. It wasn't the best but I was really proud of those girls! They worked so hard and it was so much fun to watch them play and to coach them! I was surprised how quickly my soccer knowledge came back. I feel bad because I made one of my girls cry in one of our games yesterday. She wasn't ready to play when I put her in to start the game. She didn't even have her shin guards, socks, or cleats on! So I told another girl to go start because she wasn't ready, and she started crying! Seriously... she was way emotional. I sometimes forget that most of these girls are 13 and are way into drama and stuff. I still had a blast with them though! Did I mention that there were 30 FRESHMAN GIRLS that came to camp, and those are the ones I coached?? Ya... 30. It was a nightmare trying to memorize everyone's name and what position they played! But I think I finally got it down by our last game today.
I'm super excited because tonight is the all-star game. All the coaches pick their top 2 players to play together on the all-star team and they play against all the coaches. So I get to play on the coaches team. I'm really nervous because I'm probably going to be terrible, but it will be so fun to finally get to play again! All in all, it's been a fantastic week and I'll be sad when my girls leave to go home tomorrow!
Thursday, June 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
How FUN!!!!! I'm sure you were a wonderful coach and you will do well tonight. Also, I just spent the last 2 days at girls' camp so I hear you on the DRAMA!!!
That's awesome Holla, I'm glad you had fun! I bet you were a really good coach. That's funny the girl started crying, I hear you on the drama too... and I don't care for it one bit!
I love that you got to coach those girls-- the crying is actually why I teach older kids in high school...the tear factor diminishes with each year. I bet the girls loved you!
Post a Comment