Thursday, January 12, 2012

Do Good and Be Good

Forrest's mission president had this saying, "do good and be good." For our wedding, he gave us a plaque with that saying on it, and it's been up in our home ever since. Most of the time, I rarely look at it and don't think much about it, because it just sits there. But every once in a while, I see it and think that I should be doing better. Because if I make an effort to do a little better every day, then ultimately I will end up being a better person. I get so much into a routine - go to work, go to practice, come home, eat dinner, turn on the tv, maybe get some laundry or dishes or cleaning done, and go to bed. Often I ignore the fact that I'm not progressing. I'm doing ok from day to day, but not actively trying to make each day better than the last. Today when I got home from work, I looked at the plaque and decided to re-dedicate myself to making little improvements that can make me a better person. Today, for example, I think I will turn off the tv and plan my primary lesson early, instead of waiting until Saturday night or even Sunday morning to do it. What are you going to try to do a little better today?

3 comments:

The Tomlinsons said...

Good for you, Holly! It's taken me a lot longer to figure out that if I just take it day by day progress isn't so daunting! Good luck, and thanks for the reminder!

Ashley and Hallie said...

You're the best Hol. It's tough to find time for the most important things sometimes huh? We get so busy we forget. Thanks for being such a great example. Love you

Dan and Sara said...

Great post Holla! I must say I've been feeling the exact same way lately. Routine schmoutine. I need to start doing things to progress each day. Thanks for reminding me of this! Love you!!